Saturday, 7 April 2007

Back in the Game

I haven't picked up my camera since the end of the photo project. I felt completely drained and the thought of the camera dominating my life again like it did in February left me cold. But I'm starting to want to take photos again (note to self - you must do things for fun rather than for achievement!) so I think I might start working on a new project - watch this space for what I come up with... Hmm maybe I should take suggestions from you - give me a theme, any theme, as literal or as abstract as you like, and I'll try and work my magic.

Oh and a friend wants to use/buy some photos from me to use on a viral marketing blog. Not sure how they'll be used but hey, it's nice to "have my work acknowledged" and I think they want me to do more variations of some of the stuff I've done so that's pretty cool.

Other things/people that have inspired me creatively recently are:
  • The Gotan Project who I was lucky enough to see live last month at WOMAD. Tango meets beats and breaks meets moving pictures.
  • Hone Tuware - a New Zealand poet whose work you study at uni - New Zealand lit 101 - but once you get past that (took me a while!!) you realise that he puts words together in a really powerful way. Oh Africa makes me think this - if there weren't elements of African society that weren't so totally corrupt and barbaric, would it be able to handle its natural obstacles a whole lot better and not be as "developing" as it is? ie have people f*** ed it up?

Oh Africa!

On bloody acts
That make less human
Mankind’s brighter sun,
Let revulsion rise
Eclipse the moon’s
Black evil, so that
Innocence and the child
Shall reign
So that we may dream
Good dreams again
  • I've been listening to some old-school music lately - Cyndi Lauper (did you know She Bop is about masturbation??? Check out the lyrics - makes complete sense. Am I the only one who didn't know this???) , Talking Heads and the Pretenders (LOVE Chrissie!!), James Brown and the Cure. James and Robert are old favourites but the Pretenders has blown me away -must uncover more of their stuff. I want to listen to Talk Talk and The The again too - because of their names.

No comments: